Refusal of the spoon, eat anything other than small pots or salt, rejection of pieces or vegetables ... With your child, you may be affected by one or more of these situations during these meals. Our advice to react well.
He refuses to eat with a spoon
You looked forward to this new step. Finally, your baby will eat his mashed potatoes with a spoon, like a big one, or almost.
- What's going on in front of his plate: He refuses to open his mouth when you show him the spoon and turns his head if you insist. You are disappointed and deprived of this refusal that you did not expect.
- What do I do ? Rest assured. Even if he is slow to accept the spoon, your child will not be deficient: the essential nutrients he needs in the age of diversification is provided by infant milk (or maternal, if you breastfeed). Offer him the spoon several times without forcing him. He does not seem to be ready? Try again in a week, you have the time and he too. In the meantime, nothing prevents you from putting mashed potatoes or compotes in a bottle.
The pieces, no thanks !
Your child has enough teeth to introduce the pieces into his diet. An important step in the diversification and awakening to tastes and flavors.
- What's going on in front of his plate : while he loved mashed potatoes, your baby refuses to eat them in pieces. You are puzzled!
- What do I do ? even if your elder has not reacted well, this reaction is far from exceptional. Your toddler can refuse the pieces because you offer them in a mashed mix and he apprehends this new texture. This refusal can also be the consequence of a false route that your child remembers, or a difficult ingestion of a previous piece, too big for him. For fear of reliving this accident, he declines them all. As often with the feeding of children, your best ally is time. Give him some chunks regularly, without forcing him, putting them apart on his plate and let him dig as he pleases, with his fingers. Reassured, in his ability to "manage" chewing and swallowing, he will accept the pieces.
Vegetables, it does not pass ...
For your child to be healthy, you prepare vegetables for him every day.
- What's going on in front of his plate : Broccoli, green beans, carrots ... he pushes his plate when you introduce him. None finds grace in his eyes.
- What do I do ? For your baby, one or two vegetables or fruits a day are enough for his needs in fiber, vitamins and trace elements. In case of refusal, do not steer. Be inventive, without ever forcing it, so that the meal does not turn to systematic opposition.
- Offer him in different forms. If he does not like cooked carrots, maybe he will appreciate them grated? Green beans do not pass? Make sure they are extra-fine, without waxing, and if possible organic. What if you add a knob of butter?
- On the other hand, do not deceive your child by "camouflaging" vegetables he does not like in his mashed potatoes. It is not the goal !
- For him to accept them more easily, offer him small quantities, without making a ceremonial before he even began to eat. A study conducted in the United States goes in this direction: a child is more inclined to taste a vegetable when his parents do not associate a benefit for his health. Forget it, the soup that makes you grow or the carrots that make it pleasant ...
- Finally, remember that your child has the right not to love a vegetable, he has his own tastes, like you. Maybe he will appreciate the turnips in a few years ...